Position: Maintenance Electrician Assistant
Reports To: Maintenance Supervisor
Pay Rate: $20/hour
Purpose of Position
Under direct supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor, the Maintenance Electrician Assistant performs ordinary and customary installations, modifications, additions and repairs in accordance with MCA 37-68-103 (2) to ensure the efficient and continuous operation of airport-owned electrical and electronic systems.
This position is distinguished by the following work elements:
- Electrical and electronics repair and maintenance
- Ancillary maintenance
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this classification. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
Electrical and electronics repair
- Diagnoses and repairs malfunctioning electrical and electronic equipment
- Monitors and repairs electrical and electronic components of building and airfield
- Cleans, maintains and repairs lighting and other airfield systems
- Installs conduit, raceways, cable trays, electrical power equipment, controls, fixtures, and other associated items
- Performs preventative maintenance and calibration to electrical and electronic components
- Orders electrical and electronic supplies
- Assists in developing project specifications
Additional Tasks and Responsibilities
While the following tasks are necessary for the work, they are not an essential part of the purpose of this classification and may also be performed by other employees.
- Repairs, inspects and maintains airport-owned facilities, machinery, equipment, and property
- Operates a variety of heavy and light equipment
- Operates snow removal equipment
- Performs debris removal as necessary
- Cleans shop, work areas, and equipment
- Provides airfield escorts as necessary
- Picks up parts from vendors
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
The following training and education, or any combination of the two that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities, is required for this position:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to successfully complete TSA background check
- Ability to successfully complete pre-employment physical including drug screening
- 2 to 4 years of experience in performing industrial/facility electrical maintenance duties
- Good working knowledge/experience with both parallel and series high voltage circuits
- Low voltage cabling experience
The following training and education, knowledge, skills, and abilities, are preferred for this position:
- Montana Electricians license
- Experience running scissor and bucket lifts
- Experience with PLC’s, motor control, and airfield lighting installation or maintenance
Physical and Mental Abilities Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
Language Ability and Interpersonal Communication
Ability to assemble, copy, record, and transcribe data and information, following a prescribed plan. Ability to compare, count, differentiate, measure and/or sort data and information.
Ability to advise and interpret how to apply policies, procedures, and standards to specific situations.
Ability to utilize a wide variety of descriptive data and information such as regulations, engineering drawings, airfield condition reports, specifications, diagrams, maps, maintenance manuals, safety training materials, maintenance records, time cards, and general operating manuals.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide. Ability to use formulas and equations used in the electrical trade.
Judgment and Situation Reasoning Ability
Ability to use functional reasoning and apply rational judgment in performing influence functions such as instructing and leading.
Ability to exercise the judgment, decisiveness and creativity required in situations involving the evaluation of information against sensory and/or judgmental criteria, as opposed to criteria which are clearly measurable.
The following physical requirements apply to the position:
- Ability to operate equipment and machinery requiring complex and rapid adjustments, such as trucks, snow removal equipment, fork lifts, compressors, generators, hoists, jacks, electrician’s tools, small hand tools, etc.
- Ability to perform strenuous activity with the ability to occasionally lift and transport 80 lbs.
- Ability to coordinate hands, eyes, feet, and limbs in performing skilled movements.
- Ability to exert required physical effort to perform moderate to heavy work typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling.
- Ability to recognize and identify similarities or differences between colors, shapes, sounds, odors, and textures associated with job-related objects, materials, and tasks.
Work environment is dictated by activities at the airport. Extended periods in difficult work environments may occur as a result of emergency conditions or inclement weather. Work is frequently performed outdoors. The position is subject to work outside traditional hours, emergency callout, and extended operating days. The position occasionally involves working in a hazardous environment. Some business travel is required.